Sheffield : Public transport networks
Description of the network :
Local rail services are provided by Northern Rail under a franchise agreement with The Department for Transport and SYPTE. The existing franchise is due to be renewed in April 2014 with a number of operators likely to bid for the right to operate trains.
Other rail services ; linking South Yorkshire with other communities, are provided by Cross County Trains, East Coast Trains, East Midlands Trains, Grand Central, Hull Trains and Trans Pennine Express.
Stagecoach Supertram serves the city of Sheffield with three light rail routes covering 29km (50% of the system is on street running with mixed traffic). The tram network links five park and ride sites with the busy city centre and gives easy access to the rail station, shopping areas, both of Sheffield’s prestigious universities, the Cathedral, sports arenas and many new popular entertainment venues.
Bus services are provided by a number of local operators ranging in size from, large operators with international interests (Arriva, First, Stagecoach) to small local businesses -85% of mileage is operated on a commercial (unsubsidised) basis.
Map of the operators in sheffield, and In South Yorkshire.
Map of the Supertram.
This map above shows the rail network for South Yorkshire and some of the surrounding areas, the stations and lines SYPTE are responsible for are in the shaded area.
Presentation of operating companies :
- Arriva - operates bus services around West Yorkshire, South Yorkshire, East Riding of Yorkshire and the southern areas of North Yorkshire in England. It is a major bus operator around the Leeds Bradford conurbation. Arriva operates throughout Europe .
- Aydons Travel Services
- Brightbus - a bus operator formerly known as MASS Transit, currently based at North Anston between Sheffield and Worksop. 2007. They operate only school contracts and commercial school routes , often using very large double deckers
- Brecks International
- Doncaster Community Transport
- First - First Group PLC is Britain’s largest bus operator running more than one in five of all local bus services. A fleet of nearly 9,000 buses carries some 2.9million passengers a day in more than 40 major towns and cities.. South Yorkshire bases are in Doncaster Rotherham and Sheffield
- Globe HolidaysGordons Coaches
- G & J Holmes
- G & R Travel
- Heatons Coaches
- Huddersfield Bus Company
- Hulleys of Baslow - corporate name : Henry Hulley and Sons Ltd. – is a bus company based in Baslow, Derbyshire, England, and has been in business for over eighty years. As well as operating scheduled bus services, it also operates chartered coach services
- Isle Coaches
- Johnson Bros. Tours
- J R H Travel
- Keats Coaches of Sheffield
- Kettlewell Coaches
- L L Travel
- Megabus – the express coach operation of Stagecoach with a number of services running between Sheffield (Meadowhall) and a number of destinations throughout the UK, including, London, Edinburgh and Newcastle
- National Express - is the brand under which the majority of long distance bus and coach services in the United Kingdom are marketed, and also the company that manages this network and operates some of the services. Most services are subcontracted to local bus and coach companies throughout the UK, as specified below. The brand and company are based in Birmingham and are owned by the National Express Group, a group of diverse transport interests also including passenger rail operators and local bus operators.
- Powells Bus A well established local bus and coach operator who provide a number of local bus services in the Rotherham area
- Rackford Coaches
- Redline Barnsley
- Selwyn Motors
- Sheffield Community Transport – Operate Community Transport (Dial A Ride and Shopper Buses) as well as a number of local bus routes
- Stagecoach East Midlands - operates services into Doncaster , Rotherham and Sheffield from bases in Mansfield and Worksop
- Stagecoach in Lincolnshire – occasional operation into Doncaster from Scunthorpe
- Stagecoach in Sheffield - corporate name : Andrews (Sheffield) Ltd - is a bus services operator based in Sheffield, England. It is a subsidiary of the Stagecoach Group. The company was created in early 2006 following the purchase of the Yorkshire Traction group in December 2005, and has progressively expanded in Sheffield with 21 hybrid double decks just added to the fleet .
- Stagecoach in Yorkshire - an operating division of Stagecoach UK Bus, formed in 2005 to take over the former Traction Group fleets in Yorkshire by Stagecoach Group ; the operation has bases at Barnsley, Chesterfield and Rawmarsh
- Tates Travel-expanding Barnsley based operator with a number of services in the area
- Thornes Independent
- TM Travel - TM Travel started in November 1995 as a family business with only one vehicle, but expanded to increase both the coach operations and then into its other services, including schools transport and local bus services. It opened a base at Halfway in 2009 and operates a number of services in South Yorkshire and Derbyshire : in 2010 the business was sold to Wellglade Group Ltd and the TM operation continues as a subsidiary of this organisation
- Wilfreda Beehive - a small coach and bus operator based in Adwick-le-Street, Doncaster.