Prague : Public transport networks
Public Transport System
The integrated system based in :
- Unified regional transport system based on the preference
of the spine rail transport (railways, Metro, trams).
- Possibility of combined way of transport by a personal car
and by public transport means realised through the Parking
& Ride parking facilities.
- Unified change tariff system enabling to make a ride by usingn a single ticket with the necessary changes,
- Creation of conditions for market and competitive environment on the transport market.
Tram, metro and the most part of the bus services are provided by Dopravni Podnik Hlavniho Města Prahy (Prague Public Transit Co.), a municipally owned corporation. Suburban services run under State Railway (Ceske Drahy) and usually private bus and ferry operators.
|Metro Bus Tram||Ferry||Suburban Bus||Suburban Rail|
|Management Body||100% Municipally owned
(Dopravni Podnik hl.m. Prahy a.s.)
|2 operators||16 operators||100% State owned company (Cesk Drahy a.s.)|
|Address||Sokolovsk 217/47 Praha 9||Nábřeží Ludvíka Svobody 1222|
|Managing Director||Ing. Jaroslav Ďuriš||Pavel Krtek, M.Sc.|
Supply/Demand data 2015
|Metro||Urban Bus||Suburban Bus||Suburban Rail||Tram|
|Network length (km)||66||810||3.760||655||142|
|Number of lines||3||149||161||36||30|
|Number of stops/stations||61||2.735||3.160||230||273|
|Number of vehicles||145||1.395||649||170||920|
|Number of operators||1||8||12||2||1|
|Number of trips (million)||1.336 in all transport mode|
Maps of transport facilities in Prague
Currents Developments and Projects
Metro line “A” extension
- 4 new stations in the West Prague area (Borislavka, Veleslavin, Petriny, and Motol)
- Expected to open in 2014.
- Better services for the Western part of Prague, and better connections to Prague Airport.
- Project to lay new tram tracks to replace existing main bus routes, connecting highly populated areas in the suburbs of Prague.
- New tram tracks in Slivenec, Dedina, Jizni Mesto, Bohnice and Pankrac areas.
- Step by step opening expected from, 2018-2025.
Railway connection to Prague Airport
- Reconstruction, electrification, and larger capacity of local rail tracks between Prague and Kladno (largest city close to Prague) with new branch to Prague Airport. (At the moment there is only bus links to the Airport)
- 1st Phase : Airport – Metro “A” station Veleslavin (2022)
- 2nd Phase : Metro “A” station Veleslavin – Prague centre (2025)
Unified Transport System for Prague and the middle Bohemian region
- General project for the connection of Prague to Middle Bohemia using a unified public transport system, with one fare, one co-ordinator and one timetable.
- Prague and Middle Bohemia have a combined population of 2.5 million, with Prague as the natural centre.
- Dependent on political agreement between the two local governing authorities, including technical and economic harmonisation.