Birmingham : Identification of metropolitan area
Description of metropolitan area
The West Midlands is made up of seven Local Authority areas with a total population of 2.56 million inhabitants. These Local Authorities are: Birmingham, Coventry, Dudley, Sandwell, Solihull, Walsall and Wolverhampton.
Birmingham is the largest of the Local Authority areas and is the second largest city in the United Kingdom. The West Midlands is predominantly a urban region with a diverse ethnic and cultural make up. It is traditionally famous for its car manufacturing industries but the last decade has seen an increase in the service and hospitality sectors as new investment has been made. Millions of pounds have been invested in recent years, in particular the new developments in Birmingham city centre which acts as a vibrant, cultural centre for the region.
- Map showing the Metropolitan Area within the country
- Population of Birmingham (2010): 1 million inhabitants
- Population of the West Midlands Metropolitan (2010): 2.7 millions inhabitants
- Area of Birmingham : 268 km²
- Area of West Midlands metropolitan area : 899 km²
- Number of jobs in Birmingham (2010) : 507.000
- Number of jobs in West Midlands metropolitan area (20010) : 1.246 million
- Map of the Metropolitan area