Athens : Responsible authority
Athens Urban Transport Organization (OASA S.A.) is the public authority that operates in the public interest, responsible for planning, coordinating and financing the public transport system in the metropolitan area of Athens. OASA S.A, which was established by Law 2175/92 (Government Gazette 211 A) and the provisions of laws 3429/2005 and 3920/2011 is under the jurisdiction of the Hellenic Ministry of Infrastructure and Transport and runs the public transport day-to-day operation within the Region of Attica, along with its two wholly-owned subsidiary companies:
- OSY S.A. which operates buses (diesel, CNG) and trolleybuses and
- STASY S.A. which provides metro and tram services in the Greek Capital.
Since June 2014, the OASA group operates under a new brand name as “Transport for Athens (TfA) One city - One network”. Sole Shareholder of OASA is The Hellenic Corporation of Assets and Participations S.A. (HCAP).
ΟASA’s mission is to enhance the competitiveness of public transport network by improving the level of service, network connectivity and multimodality as well as the efficiency and effectiveness of public transportation in the context of sustainable mobility. OASA offers integrated fares as well as monthly, annual and seasonal passes by means of the ATH.ENA Card, a smart card for travelling with all modes operating in the metropolitan area of Athens. It also offers real-time passenger information on bus arrivals via DMS in 1000 stops, through smart-phone applications and its website. OASA has established and applies Quality Management System according to ISO 9001:2008 certified by Swiss Approval.
Transport for Athens (TfA) - Athens Urban Transport Organization S.A. (OASA S.A)
15, Metsovou str.
106 82 - Athens
Tel.: + 30.210.82.00.999
Email: oasa at oasa.gr
CEO: Iris Antonopoulou (ds at oasa.gr)
Status: Public Utility Company
Personnel: 117 (2022)
Members of the Board
The Board of Directors consists of eight (8) members and is appointed by joint decision of Ministers of Finance and Infrastructure and Transport as defined by article 9 of Law 4472/2017. Its members are:
- Golias Ioannis: Civil Engineer, Chairman of the Board of Directors – non-Executive Board Member
- Antonopoulou Iris (Aristea): Human Resources Managing Director – Executive Member of the Board of Directors
- Amditis Angelos: Electrical Engineer – Deputy Chairman of the Board of Directors –* Independent non-Executive Board Member
- Nikolaos Kalatzis: Economist – Certified Public Accountant – Independent Non-Executive Member of the Board of Directors
- Kefala Vasiliki: Economist – Independent Non-Executive Member of the Board of Directors
- Evangelos Blounas: Agronomist - Topographical Engineer - non-Executive Member of the Board of Directors.
- Jason Angelopoulos: Transport Economist & Portfolio Manager of HCAP – non-Executive Board Member
- Papadopoulos Pavlos: O.A.S.A.’s employee - Employee Representative – non-Executive Member of the Board of Directors
Responsibility of the applying transport authority
O.A.S.A S.A. is the Athens Urban Transport Organisation S.A. (O.A.S.A) – the company responsible for the strategic and operational planning, coordination and control of the public transport carried out by public transport means in the Athens Metropolitan Area. Implementing measures as well as policies to enhance intermodality is also included among the authority’s main tasks.
The responsibilities of OASA S.A cover the urban transport modes that are metro, tram, buses and trolleys. OASA S.A does not run directly any urban transport mode within the area of its jurisdiction. The role of OASA S.A is the coordination of its subsidiary companies, the two transport operators STASY S.A and OSY S.A that provide transport services with their transport means.