Identification of metropolitan area Responsible authorities Public transport networks Financing City News
Manchester : Identification of metropolitan area
- 2.7 million residents
- The heart of the north
- 10 local authorities across the political spectrum working together
- Longest-established combined authority in the UK – established in 2011.
- Centre of innovation, education, industry and culture
- Economic potential exceeds that of any other UK city region
- Greater Manchester, the Heart of the North
- Manchester, Salford and Manchester Metropolitan universities, as well as other higher education institutions
- Manchester Airport
- Diverse private sector – service sector (especially financial and professional), creative and digital, health, retail, construction, manufacturing, logistics
- World class international sporting venues – Old Trafford, Etihad, Velodrome, Lancashire County Cricket ground
- Urban and rural tourist/leisure destinations from museums to moors
- City region contributes £49bn to UK economy
- Greater Manchester Combined Authority: Created in 2011 comprising 10 local authorities across the political spectrum, working together to deliver sustainable economic growth.
- Transport for Greater Manchester is the Combined Authority’s delivery arm which implements the transport policies.
- Based on previous long-term foundation of consensus, stability, consistency and commitment between authorities
- Pioneering ‘city region’ concept
- Longest-established combined authority in the UK
- Gives Greater Manchester the potential to become a ‘super city’ – the largest non-capital city in Europe, competing with the likes of Chicago on the world stage
- Greater Manchester Districts