Madrid : Financing/Pricing data
Supply/demand data 2013
The demand for public transport in 2011 was in the order of 1,369.7 million journeys. The average of 211 journeys per inhabitant places Madrid Region among the most frequent public transport users, both in Spain and Europe.
There are 8 fare zones in Madrid Region, two of them are out bounds Madrid, including part of the bordering provinces of Guadalajara, Cuenca and Toledo.
Madrid public transport system accounts with the following types of tickets:
- Single-use ticket, valid for one trip.
- Advance-purchase 10-journey ticket: valid for 10 trips.
- Touristic ticket, for 1, 2, 3 ,5 or 7 days, valid in Madrid city or Madrid Community for all kind of modes.
- Travel Card for unlimited use within a given time period and zone.
Fares are integrated for every public transport mode using monthly and annual travel passes. The Travel Pass is a multimodal travel ticket for use on all public transport modes (buses, metro, suburban railways...) within a specified zone. It is valid for a restricted period of time (a month or year).
Thanks largely to this Travel Pass, public transport is now an affordable option for commuters in Madrid, and the system is further enhanced by the fact that people can use any of the existing modes of public transport without restriction.
There are three types of monthly travel passes:
- Regular Pass: for users aged 23-64.
- Youth Pass: for the under aged 23.
- Elderly Pass: for the over-65s.
- Annual standard and elderly passes are also available. The validity period of the travel cards backed with the new contactless technology is 30 days starting from their first use.
|2013/€||Single trip||Multiple trips||Monthly pass||Annual pass||Young monthly||Elderly monthly||Touristic|
Madrid city (A Zone)
|54.60||546.00||35.00||12.30||1 day 8.40|
3 days 18.40
7 days 35.40
|Fare for B1 Zone||63.70||637.00||39.60||12.30||1 day 17.00|
3 days 35.40
7 days 70.80
|Fare for C2 Zone||99.30||993.00||61.80||12.30||as B1 Zone|
For touristic zone ; children under 11 benefits of 50% discount
Funding of public transport in 2013
The transport system of the Region of Madrid is funded by contributions from several levels of the Central Government and by the revenues obtained from users.
The following figure provides an overview of the sources and allocations of the CRTM funding scheme:
Current developments and projects :
The studies and projects carried out by the CRTM in 2013 are the following:
- Opinion survey regarding the quality of service on the suburban network during 2013.
- Survey of the spatial characteristics of the demand for the Madrid Renfe-Cercanías network (2013).
- Survey to determine and characterize the demand for the Madrid EMT daytime routes on workdays.
- Supply and demand studies in the EMT, Metro de Madrid and the light rail.
- Field work to collect data referring to the Metro de Madrid network peak time demand on working days.
With regards New Technologies, the CRTM promotes technological innovation through actions such as the integration of information, in real time, of all the transport modes into one Management Centre (CITRAM) or the introduction of the new travel card systems based on contactless technology.
In terms of intermodality improvements, CRTM activities has focused on: the completition of the Transport Interchanges Plan, the impulse of the modal interchange car parks plan and the improvement of the main intermodal points of the transport system.
- Remodelling of the Avenida de America Interchange.
- Analysis of public transport infrastructure for the Advance of the PGOU of Madrid.
CRTM has a very active participation in different European projects. In 2013 CRTM was involved in the following projects: SECURESTATION (Design for Security in Transport Stations), SECURED (Secured Urban Transportation), INVOLVE (Involving the Private Sector in the Mobility Management), 3iBS (Intelligent, Innovative, Integrated Bus Systems), NODES (New tools for Design and Operation of Urban Transport Interchanges), TEA-Cost (Transport Equity Analysis), OPTICITIES (Enhancing Smart Mobility).