- Identification of metropolitan area
- Responsible authorities
- Public transport networks
- Financing/Pricing data
- City News
Identification of metropolitan area
“Stadsregio Amsterdam” is the name of the Metropolitan region of Amsterdam, a cooperation of 16 municipalities in the Amsterdam agglomeration. It has a population (2011) of 1.406.500 inhabitants (Amsterdam: 767.723) on a territory of 1.025 km² (Amsterdam: 219 km²). The number of jobs in the region is 895.700 (2009).
Stadsregio Amsterdam is one of seven conurbations in the Netherlands with their own status and competence for public transport, alongside the 12 provinces. Furthermore the region is responsible for planning and financing of local and regional infrastructure for road traffic, road safety including cycling and urban (light)rail, youth care, housing, sustainable economic development and tourism.
On the field of public transport Stadsregio performs studies on improvements and extensions of the transport network, network planning, procurement and contracting services with transport operators on services and public transport infrastructure investment. The Board of Executives sets fare policies for the public transport in the 4 concessions in the region.
Summary of core competences
- Programming and financing regional and local transport infrastructure plans
- Contracting public transport services with operators
- Financing public transport concessions (net cost contracts)
- Defining midterm and long term policies on public transport a regional fare level policy.
|MAIN CITY||TOTAL METROPOLITAN AREA|
|Surface||219 km²||1.003 km²|
|Employment||522.440 (2009)||895.700 (2009)|